High school students from Boulder City attended Las Vegas High School beginning in 1933 because there was no room in the overcrowded Boulder City Elementary School. While attending Las Vegas High School from 1933 until 1942, there was a special Boulder City Yearbook, The Boulder City Echo, which featured Boulder City students. The Boulder City High School yearbook, Aquila, has been in publication since 1943 when Boulder City opened its first high school.
In 1941, a high school was built in Boulder City which contained a small gym, five classrooms, a small library, and one science laboratory. Boulder City’s first senior class graduated in May, 1942, and the first high school yearbook was The Aquila. The school became overcrowded and additional classes were held in a concrete bunker, the American Legion Hall, and in two abandoned buildings of an army camp.
In 1952, a new junior-senior high school was finished at Boulder City High School’s current location.
The 1951 Boulder City High School Student Council at a library table. The same library tables have been refinished and are currently used in the Boulder City High School Library although the tables are in the new library which is located in the remodeled gym.
In 1958, Boulder City schools were incorporated into the Clark County School District. Because Boulder City schools had been better-equipped than most public schools in the county, when Clark County School District took over, the schools in Boulder City were not allowed to upgrade their equipment until the rest of the county caught up. Some equipment from Boulder City High School was taken to other Clark County schools.
Because of the need for a theatre at the high school, in 1962, the Ford Foundation provided funds to build a contemporary-design theatre on the east side of the high school. The picture shows the interior of the auditorium.
During the spring and summer of 1987, Boulder City High School was part of an upgrade project funded by the Clark County School District Bond Funds. Rooms were painted, gold carpet was replaced with blue carpet, and olive green drapes were replaced with vertical blinds. The library was remodeled with a new circulation desk. In 2001, a new auto shop, a band/orchestra room, and new science classrooms were added to the exterior of the old gym. A new double gym was constructed allowing for two basketball or volleyball games to be played simultaneously. The new gym also included a weight room, wrestling room, locker rooms, offices and a dance room.
Boulder City High School went through further renovations. In 2001, after the new gym was completed, the 1951 gymnasium with remodeling became the library/technology center. A Library Conference Room and technology classrooms were also added.